Monday to Thursday: 11:30 am to 10 pm (closed 4 pm to 5 pm)
Friday: 12 pm to 3:30 pm
Monday and Tuesday: 11:30 am to 4 pm
Wednesday and Thursday: 11:30 am to 7 pm (closed 4 pm to 5 pm)
Friday: 12 pm to 3:30 pm
Note: The Lost and Found Office is closed during all statutory holidays and University closures.
Location: The Greenhouse (Security Services)
- Put your name and email address somewhere accessible on important belongings. This helps us to contact you.
- Be sure to check with people in the area where you think you might have lost your item (libraries, faculties, departments etc.). While many lost items on campus end up at the Lost and Found, some locations only drop items off periodically.
Frequently Asked Questions
Photo identification is required for all pick ups at the Lost and Found. When picking up an item, you will be asked to present your identification, provide contact information (either phone number or email address), and sign for the item before it will be released.
Typically, items are held for a minimum of 30 days.
Items that are not held for that time frame include:
- YU Cards (they are turned into the YU Card office at the end of the day).
- Passports (they are given to Security Services).
- University keys (they are given to Security Services).
- University library books (they are returned to their home library).
- Sanitary or health hazards, such as soiled clothing or perishable food (they are not kept).
Unclaimed items are either donated to charitable organizations or disposed of.
York University does not profit in any way from unclaimed items.
If you are unable to pick up your lost item during business hours, or within the 30-day maximum storage timeline, then you can request that alternative arrangements be made. On a case-by-case basis, alternative arrangements can include picking up your item at Security Services, which operates 24/7, or if you will not be at the university for an extended period, then having the item put in long-term storage. These options must be arranged in advance and long-term storage is only available for a maximum of 90 days from the date the request is made.
If the owner is unable to pick up an item in person, then a third party (with documentation of authorization) may pick up the item on the owner's behalf. Please contact the Lost and Found office to make arrangements.
York University regrets that it cannot be responsible for items of personal property left unattended on the grounds or within buildings.