Security Bulletin - January 23, 2020 Update on Assault with a Weapon, Keele campus
Earlier today a security bulletin was issued regarding an assault that occurred Wed., January 22nd at approximately 10:30 pm. We understand this is very concerning for our entire community. York University takes violent crime on our campus very seriously.
More information about this occurrence has been provided by Toronto Police Service (TPS) which we would like to share with our community. Police have confirmed the victim is a student at our university. We are in contact with both the victim and their family to provide support. Further information, including a description of the suspect, can be found in the recent TPS news release: http://torontopolice.on.ca/newsreleases/46424.
Police are seeking the public's assistance in locating witnesses and in identifying the suspect, who remains at large.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3100, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or at Facebook Leave a Tip page, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes or Google Play.
To help ensure the safety of our community members we have increased York Security patrols, and Toronto Police are giving special attention to the area.
We would remind York community members:
- To be aware of and pay particular attention to their surroundings when walking on campus and in the Village at night.
- York Security Services operates 24/7 and responds to all community calls at 416-650-8000 or at 416-736-5333 for urgent matters.
- The goSAFE service escorts York community members to and from any on-campus location in evenings and night-times.
- Emergency Blue Lights and Safety Phones are located throughout York's campuses, and provide a direct line to Security Services for assistance.
- The Why Work Alone program operated by Security Services provides check-ins with community members who are working alone on campus in evenings, weekends or holidays.
- The YorkU Safety App provides a direct link to Security Services and goSAFE. It also provides campus safety alerts and information on safety resources.
We encourage anyone who needs support to utilize the wide range of services available at York University.
For faculty and staff in need of support, please call the Employee and Family Assistance Program toll-free 24 hours a day, seven days a week for immediate, confidential help at 1-800-268-5211; TTY Service is available at 1-800-363-6270.
The Student Counseling & Development office offers personal counseling services to all York students. They can be reached by calling 416-736-5297, or visit http://counselling.students.yorku.ca/ for more information.
Services are also available to all members of the York community through the Office of Student Community Relations (OSCR.) They can be reached by calling 416-736-5231, or visit oscr@yorkuca, W128 Bennett Centre for Student Services (BCSS)
For more information about these services and other services available at York go to the Community Safety website at http://yorku.ca/safety.
Response Type: None