York University always strives to foster a culture of safety on our campuses.
A cornerstone of our efforts has been a commitment to a variety of transparent communications with respect to incidents that occur on our campuses.
As a safety measure, we have recently had to impose a trespass ban for a non-community member who poses a safety risk to our Keele campus community. This was in response to concerns received from individuals and businesses about harassing behaviour and actions.
Since, this individual has repeatedly come to our Keele Campus requiring Toronto Police Service to attend campus to safely enforce the trespass ban. This action was not taken lightly; however, it was required to enforce the university's trespass policy and building codes.
The individual is described as: male, 38 years of age, 6' tall, medium build, usually wears all black clothing and carries a knapsack. He has been known to carry small, self-made, edged weapons and frequents the Student Centre and York Lanes. If you see this individual, we encourage you to contact York Security.
Some recent social media posts claim the individual was removed “for being homeless”. This is not the case. Individuals are only removed from campus when the safety of our community is compromised.
York Security continues to monitor the situation closely and appreciates community members who report safety incidents to us.
If you have any questions, always feel free to call us at (416) 650-8000 or ext. 58000 or drop by the 24-7 community safety office.
We are here to serve our community and thank you for your support and shared commitment to safety.
Security Bulletins are issued with regard to incidents that occur on York University property when:
- a serious incident has occurred and there is a risk of recurrence; and/or
- there is a pattern of recurring, but less serious incidents (such as thefts or robberies); and/or
- a Security or Police investigation will be assisted by bringing forward witnesses and information.
When an incident represents an immediate threat to the physical safety of persons at the University, there would be an immediate communication to all or to the affected parts of the University following the protocols outlined in York’s Emergency Plan and related procedures, employing the push notification on the Mobile Safety App, the LCD screens, and the emergency PA system.
|URGENT INCIDENTS - KEELE & GLENDON CAMPUSES
416-736-5333, or from your office phone at extension 33333
|Toronto Police Services,
Ambulance,or Toronto Fire Dept. 911Security TTY (for hearing impaired)
(416) 736-5470 or ext. 55470GENERAL SECURITY INFORMATION
KEELE & GLENDON CAMPUSES
(416) 650-8000 or ext. 58000Crime Prevention
(416) 736-5931 or ext. 55931Investigations
(416) 736-5361 or ext. 55361Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion
(416) 736-5682 or ext. 55682
|Centre for Human Rights TTY
(for hearing impaired)
(416) 650-4823Office of the Ombudsperson
firstname.lastname@example.orgCounselling & Disability Services
(416) 736-5297 or ext. 55297Office of Student Community Relations
(416) 736-5231 or ext. 55231Crime Stoppers
www.222tips.comToronto Police Services